The process of taking Payment via credit/debit card varies depending on Payment Preferences. These steps assume you are allocating paysplits to procedures and provider. Follow the same steps to process an ACH payment to directly withdrawal from a patient's checking or savings account. Open Dental integrates with XCharge (OpenEdge), PayConnect, and PaySimple for credit card processing.
In the Account Module:
- Select the adjustments, pay plan charges, and/or procedures and click Payment, or just click Payment.
- Enter the payment amount.
- Prefer this patient: Check this box to prioritize the patient's oldest outstanding charges when suggesting paysplit allocations. Uncheck to suggest paysplits allocated to the oldest outstanding charges for the whole family (not necessarily the patient's). Only visible when there are multiple family members.
Note: This checkbox defaults to prefer this patient if procedures were selected prior to clicking payment.
- Click OK. The Payment Window will open.
- Clinics: Make sure the correct clinic is selected (only visible when clinics are enabled).
- Current Payment Splits: Verify that paysplits are allocated to the correct outstanding charges (patients, procedures, providers, clinics and/or unearned income type). If adjustments, pay plan charges, or procedures were selected prior to clicking payment, the paysplits will be allocated to those outstanding charges.
- To allocate the payment to super family members, check Show Super Family Charges then select a charge and pay or add partials to create the paysplit.
- To modify a paysplit, double click it. See Paysplit Allocation.
- To add a paysplit, click Add Split.
- Credit Card: Select the credit card or bank account to charge. If the card or account is not listed, select New Card to enter new payment information.
- Click X-Charge, PayConnect, or PaySimple to initiate the credit card processor. If multiple card processing programs are enabled, and a card or account is selected, use the program listed next to the number to process the payment. Otherwise, you will be prompted to enter new card or account information.
X-Charge: XCharge Windows
- Select Purchase as the transaction type.
- (for new cards) Check Save Token to safely store the card on file then click OK to enter the new card information.
- Click Process or F12.
Note: If a card terminal is attached, swipe the card after selecting F12 Process.
PayConnect: PayConnect Window
- Select Sale as the transaction type.
- (for new cards) Enter the card information and check Save Token to safely store the card on file.
- Click OK.
PaySimple: PaySimple Window
- Select Sale as the transaction type for credit/debit or click the ACH tab for a direct withdrawal.
- (for new cards or account) Enter the card or bank account information and uncheck One-Time Payment to safely store the card or bank account on file.
- Click OK.
The Credit Card Transaction Details will be automatically added to the payment note. It will indicate successful or declined transactions.
- Print Receipt/E-mail Receipt: Click to manually print or email a receipt. You can also set Open Dental to automatically print or email after a successful transaction (XCharge Setup, PayConnect Setup).
- Click OK to post the payment to the patient account.
- Payments allocated to procedures for multiple family members will post to each patient account.
- If multiple line items are selected and the payment amount does not cover all items, Open Dental will go through each charge, starting with the oldest date, and attempt to allocate money until no more exists.
- When a payment transaction is declined, click cancel or try again. Clicking OK will post the transaction amount to the account.
- Cancel will void this payment transaction.