In the Main Menu, click eServices, Web Sched, Recalls.
General Steps to set up Web Sched Recall:
- Sign up for Web Sched Recall. To send text message reminders, also sign up for Integrated Texting.
- Define options that affect available time slots (Operatories Considered, Recall Types, Blockouts and Provider Time).
- Review Recall List Settings (customize message text, review defaults). See Setup Recall.
- Set Automation Options.
- Turn on and customize Web Sched Notify Setup (optional).
- Check patient information.
Only operatories marked Is Web Sched are considered for available time slots for Web Sched Recall appointments. To change an operatory's setting:
- Double click a row to open Operatories.
- Double click the operatory.
- Check/uncheck the Is Web Sched box.
- Save changes and close Operatory Setup.
Web Sched Recall Confirm Status
Select the confirmation status to apply to appointments scheduled using Web Sched Recall. To customize options, see Confirmation Status. Defaults to Created from Web Sched.
Recall types (prophy, childprophy, and perio) determine due date intervals and time pattern/appointment length. To edit a recall type's settings:
- Double click a row in the Recall Types grid to open Recall Types Setup.
- Make changes as needed.
- Close the Recall Types area. You may be prompted to synchronize recalls for all patients.
Blockouts and Provider Time
These settings affect available time slots for Web Sched Recall appointments.
Ignore Blockout Types: By default, Web Sched Recall does not consider Blockouts as available time. However, you can allow scheduling during specific blockout times by ignoring a blockout type.
- Click Edit to open a list of all blockout types.
- Highlight any blockout types to ignore (Web Sched Recall appointments can be scheduled in the blockout).
- Click OK.
Time Slots: Under the Available Time Slots area, select how provider selection affects available time slots.
- First Available: Show available time slots for all providers.
- Primary Provider: Only show available time slots for the patient's primary provider.
- Secondary Provider: Only show available time slots for the patient's secondary provider.
- Last Seen Hygienist: Only show available time slots for the last hygienist seen by the patient.
Note: When there are openings in multiple operatories, appointments scheduled using First Available provider as the criteria will be scheduled in the operatory on the farthest left of the schedule (order of 1).
Allow patients to select provider: When more than one provider has available openings, allow patients to select a provider in the Web Sched Recall interface. To add provider descriptions and photo, see the Provider, Web Sched tab.
The Available Time Slots area provides a preview of open time slots for up to a month, based on selected criteria:
- Date: The date of the first previewed opening (start date). Click Today to insert today's date.
- Recall Type: Filter open slots by recall type.
- Provider: Filter open slots by provider.
- Clinic: Filter open slots by clinic.
Recall List Settings
Default settings for the Recall List affect when and to whom automated Web Sched Recall reminders are sent, as well as the message content. Click Recall Setup to review settings (see Setup Recall).
Customize Messages: For both email and text, there are Web Sched messages for three reminders (first, second, third). Double click on a reminder to make changes.
Below are examples of the default text for the first Web Sched reminders (1).
Variable options include:
- NameFL: Patient first and last name.
- NameF: Patient first name only.
- FamilyList: List first name and recall due date of all family members (if Group Families is selected).
- DueDate: Date the recall is due.
- URL: The unique link the patient will click to schedule their appointment. The generated link will be appointment and patient-specific and cannot be changed.
- ClinicName: Clinic name (patient's default clinic).
- ClinicPhone: Clinic phone number.
- PracticeName: Practice name.
- PracticePhone: Practice phone.
- OfficePhone: Uses clinic phone number if available, otherwise inserts practice phone.
Other Defaults: For automated reminders, patients are sent a Web Sched Recall reminder when they meet the default criteria for the Recall List (would show in the list today). We recommend reviewing the Recall List default settings.
A patient shows in the Recall List when:
- Their recall due date falls within the default date range and they have not yet received a recall reminder.
- They are due for a second or third reminder.
The date range is determined by these settings:
- Days Past: Determines the default Start Date.
- Days Future: Determines the default End Date.
Exclude: These options affect whether patients with scheduled appointments show in the list.
- Exclude from list if recall scheduled
- Exclude from list if any future appt
Reminders: Once the first Web Sched Recall reminder is sent, the reminder intervals affect when the second and third reminder are sent.
- Initial Reminder: The number of days after the first reminder to send the second reminder.
- Second (or more) Reminder: The number of days after the second reminder to send the third reminder.
These settings determine automated preferences. Automation is optional. You can always manually send Web Sched Recall reminders from the Recall List.
Send Email Messages Automatically To: Select whether or not automated email Web Sched Recall reminders are sent, and if yes, to which patients.
- Do not send: Do not send automated email reminders to patients. This turns automated email reminders OFF.
- Patients with email addresses: Email automated recall reminders to any patient who has an email address.
- Patients with email address and no other preferred recall method is selected: Only email automated recall reminders to patients with an email address and no other Preferred Recall Method.
- Patients with email addresses and email is selected as their Preferred Recall Method: Only email automated recall reminders to patients with an email address who have also have email as their Preferred Recall Method.
Send Text Messages Automatically To: Select whether or not automated text Web Sched Recall reminders are sent, and if yes, to which patients.
- Do not send: Do not send automated text reminders to patients. This turns automated text reminders OFF.
- Patients with wireless phone (unless Text OK = No): Only send automated text reminders to patients who have a wireless phone number and are marked to accept text messages (Edit Patient Information, Text OK).
Max number of texts sent every 10 minutes per clinic: Determines how many messages are sent in a batch. Defaults to 2. Limiting the batch amount can be useful when there are many messages to be sent (hundreds) and you are worried about possible message failure. If blank, there is no limit.
Note: The automated eServices Schedule also affects when automated recall reminders are sent. See eServices Misc
Web Sched Notify Messages
When a patient successfully books a Web Sched Recall, Web Sched New Patient or Web Sched ASAP appointment online, you can opt to send them an automated message via text, email, or both to notify them of appointment details. To turn on and customize messages, see Web Sched Notify Setup.
To receive a Web Sched Recall reminder, patients need to have basic information entered. We recommend checking the following for each patient on the Edit Patient Information window.
- Email address
- Wireless phone number
- Text OK status
- Preferred Recall Method
- If using clinics, make sure a default clinic is assigned.
When using Web Sched Recall, make sure your general recall settings are correct. See Setup Recall.
Provider Assignment Logic:
- Providers are assigned based on the operatory the appointment is scheduled in (the provider of the operatory for the time block). It is therefore important to assign a default provider to the operatory and/or assign the operatory to the provider's schedule time block.
- The provider's Schedule Setup should extend as far into the future as you want to schedule appointments. You can't schedule recall appointments 3 months in the future if there is no schedule set 3 months out.
Appointment Detail Logic
- The appointment schedule's time increment affects appointment start/end. See Time Increments on Appointment View Setup.
- Recall type time pattern determines appointment length.
- Recall type procedures determine the procedures on the appointment.
Clinic Logic: Web Sched will first check for available openings in operatories of the patient's clinic. If the patient has no clinic, it will look at operatories for the clinic of the last scheduled or completed appointment. If no clinic can be determined, only time slots in operatories assigned to no clinic are considered (operatories flagged Is Web Sched with None as the clinic).
Aggregated Messages: When multiple family members are sent a Web Sched Recall reminder, the message will be aggregated into one and a commlog will be generated for each patient. The aggregated message format cannot be changed.
Aggregated text message recall reminder:
"Dental checkups due: [FamilyListURLs]. Visit links to schedule appointments or call [OfficePhone]."
Aggregated email message recall reminder:
"These family members are due for a dental checkup:"
"Please visit the links above or call our office today at [OfficePhone] to schedule your appointment."
The "[FamilyListURLs]" tag will be replaced lines that look like this: "Harry - Schedule appointment at http://od.ag/w/LWVhHh".
Web Sched Troubleshooting
Web Sched Recall: What Patient Sees
In Open Dental
Scheduled appointments instantly show up in the Appointments Module.
Use the Web Sched Appointments Report to view and track appointments scheduled using Web Sched.