In the Appointment View Setup window, double-click a view.
Description: The identifying name of this appointment view.
Rows per Time Increment (usually 1): Affects the row height for time increments. Enter a number between 1 and 3.
Minimum Op width (default 0) (turns on hscroll): Enter the minimum width of an operatory (in pixels). Appointments will not scale down below that width, and a horizontal scroll bar will appear at the bottom, if needed.
Schedule Start Time: When Open Dental is first launched, the appointment schedule automatically scrolls to a default start time. After Open Dental is launched, the scroll bar will remember the last position it was in and stay there. The options below affect the start time.
- View Start Time on Load: Set a fixed default start time. This option is only used when start times are not determined dynamically.
- Dynamic start time based on schedule: When checked, the schedule will automatically scroll to whichever comes first: the start time of the earliest appointment or the scheduled start time earliest scheduled provider. Only providers in operatories included in the view are considered. Operatories not assigned a provider will consider the default provider's schedule. If no operatory has a scheduled provider or appointment, the View Start Time on Load value is used. See Schedule Setup.
Disable appointment bubbles: Set whether or not a bubble popup shows in this appointment view when hovering over an appointment in the schedule. Disabling the bubble popup is useful for privacy (so PHI is not visible) or for better system performance. When checked, bubble popups are turned off. When unchecked, bubble popups will show. The default setting is determined by the preference in Appointments Module Preferences for Default appointment bubble to disabled for new appointment views.
Assigned Clinic: If using clinics, select the clinic associated with this view. The view will only be available when this clinic is selected in the main menu. All = Headquarters. Defaults to the clinic selected on the Appointment Views window.
View Operatories: Highlight the operatories that will show in the view. If using clinics, only operatories associated with the assigned clinic list. Click and drag or press Shift or Ctrl while clicking to select multiple operatories. At least one operatory must be selected. Sort order is based on Operatories order.
Note: Screen size controls how many operatories can show at one time in a view. Usually six to seven operatories can show at once.
Only show operatories for scheduled providers: Check this box to dynamically show provider operatories based on time of day. Only operatories highlighted in View Operatories are considered. Enter the time restriction in one of the following boxes (e.g. 12 pm).
- Only if before time: Show operatories for providers whose schedule starts and ends before this time.
- Only if after time: Show operatories for providers whose schedule starts and ends after this time.
Example: Providers are assigned to different operatories after lunch. Create two appointment views, one for morning and one for afternoon.
Morning appointment view: This view will show operatories for providers whose time block in the schedule ends before 12:01 pm.
- Highlight all operatories.
- Check the Only show operatories for scheduled providers box.
- Enter for Only if before time enter 12:01 pm
Afternoon appointment view: This view will show operatories for providers whose time block in the schedule starts after 12:02 pm.
- Highlight all operatories.
- Check the Only show operatories for scheduled providers box.
- Enter for Only if after time enter 12:02 pm
View Provider Bars: Highlight the provider Time Bars to show in the view. Time bars show on the left of the schedule in the appointment color of the provider.
Appointment View Item Edit
When a field has been moved from the Available Rows column, the text color or alignment can be edited.
To edit a field, double-click it. The Appointment View Item Edit window will open.
- Description: Name of the field. This value cannot be changed.
- Text Color: Click Change to change the text Color.
- Alignment: Select where the field will display on the appointment.
- Main: Displays on the appointment in the center list.
- UR: Displays in the upper right of the appointment.
- LR: Displays in the lower right of the appointment.
The selections described below affect what information shows in an appointment box and where. To customize what shows in the appointment bubble, see Display Fields, Appointment Bubble.
Example: This appointment view has the following fields added:
Main List: PatientNameF, WirelessPhone, Age, Provider, Procs, and TimeAsktoArrive,
- Upper Right Corner: MedorPreMed[+], HasIns[I], and ConfirmedColor.
Available Rows: A list of available data that can be shown.
- AddrNote: Address and phone note.
- Age: As calculated on Edit Patient Information window.
- ASAP: Display ASAP when the appointment status is ASAP.
- ASAP[A]: Display A when the appointment status is ASAP.
- AssistantAbbr: The assistant's abbreviation.
- Birthdate: As entered in the Edit Patient Information window.
- ChartNumAndName: Chart number and patient last name, first name.
- ChartNumber: Chart number only.
- ConfirmedColor: Display a colored circle in the appointment box to indicate Confirmation Status. Define colors for each confirmation status in Definitions, Appt Confirmed.
- CreditType: As entered in the Edit Patient Information window.
- DiscountPlan: The patient's Discount Plan name.
- EstPatientPortion: Estimated patient portion for attached procedures. (patient portion = gross production - estimated insurance write-offs - insurance estimates - discount plan discount). For estimates to calculate correctly you must chart the procedure from the Chart Module then attach them to the appointment. If procedures are added directly to the appointment, you must click into the Treatment Plan Module to update the estimates.
- Guardians: Name of person marked as Guardian in Family Relationships.
- HasDiscount[D]: Display D when patient has a discount plan.
- HasIns[I]: Display I when patient has insurance.
- HmPhone: Home phone number.
- InsToSend!: Display an exclamation point (!) on patient appointments when there are completed procedures within the last year that have not been sent to insurance. This will show for a patient if any family members have an unsent procedure. We recommend placing it in the Upper Right Corner. For this to show, also select Show ! at upper right of appts for ins not sent in Appointment Module Preferences. The exclamation point won't show if a claim has been created for the completed procedure or the insurance estimate is $0.
- Insurance: When in the Main List, displays the patient's primary and secondary insurance carriers. Does not show insurance plans marked as medical.
- Insurance Color: When in the Main List, displays primary and secondary insurance carriers with a colored background as set in the Carriers window.
- IsLate: Display [L] when a patient is late for an appointment. A patient is considered late if they have no time arrived entered on the Edit Appointment window or if the time arrived value is later than the appointment start time.
- Lab: Show the status of Lab Cases. We recommend changing the text color to red as well.
- LateColor: Indicate a patient is late for their appointment by changing the appointment's color. A patient is considered late if they have no time arrived entered on the Edit Appointment window or if the time arrived value is later than the appointment start time.
- LateColor overrides provider and appointment type color.
- The appointment color will not change from Late Color unless the patient's Time Arrived is updated to show the patient was not late.
- Completed late color appointments will change to completed appointment color.
- MedOrPremed[+]: Display + to indicate patient has Premedicate checked, medical urgent notes, allergies, and/or problems.
- MedUrgNote: Medical Urgent Note entered in the Medical Chart.
- NetProduction: Net production of procedures attached to the appointment. (net production = gross production - estimated insurance write-offs - adjustments attached to procedures). Add to view to see the Daily Prod sum at the right of the Appointments module. See Production Totals.
- Note: The Appointment Note entered on the Edit Appointment window.
- PatientName: The patient's first and last name.
- PatientNameF: The patient's first name
- PatientNamePref: The patient's preferred name.
- PatNum: Patient number assigned by Open Dental.
- PatNumAndName: Patient number and patient last name, first name.
- PremedFlag: Display Premedicate if Premedicate is checked in the Chart Medical area.
- Procs: List abbreviations for procedures attached to the appointment on a single line, separated by commas. Text will wrap to next line if too long for a single line.
- ProcsColored: See Proc Appt Colors. Can only display in the Main List.
- Production: Show the sum of the fees for all procedures attached to the appointment for providers who have a provider time bar showing. Add to view to see the Daily Prod sum at the right of the Appointments module. See Production Totals.
- Prophy/PerioPastDue[P]: Displays a P icon if a Prophy or Perio Special Recall type is overdue.
- Provider: Provider's name.
- RecallPastDue[R]: Displays an R icon if any recall type (other than Prophy or Perio) is overdue.
- TimeAskedToArrive: Display the time before the appointment that the patient has been asked to arrive to the office. See Time Ask to Arrive.
- VerifyIns[V]: Adds a V icon if insurance has not been verified. Icon will show for patients using Insurance Verification Setup settings.
- WkPhone: Work phone number.
Appt Field Defs: The available Appointment Field Defs.
Patient Field Defs: The available Patient Fields.
- CareCredit Approval Status: Displays the CareCredit Quickscreen status for the patient.
- Green circle: Displays pre-approved status.
- Orange triangle: Displays unable to pre-approve status.
- Blue square: Displays cardholder status.
Main List: The fields listed here align with the left margin of the appointment box. Double click an item to change its text/background color or to move it to a different location.
Upper Right Corner: The fields listed appear in the upper right corner of the appointment box. Whether the information is stacked vertically or horizontally is based on the UR stack behavior selection. It can be useful to organize data that displays as symbols in the upper right (e.g. I, A, [L]). Double click an item to change its text/background color or to move it to a different location.
Lower Right Corner: The fields listed here appear in the lower right corner of the appointment box. Whether the information is stacked vertically or horizontally is based on the LR stack behavior selection. Double click an item to change its text/background color or to move it to a different location.