Use the Recall List to send and track recall appointment reminders.
In the Appointment Lists, click Recall.
Every active patient appears in the recall list for the default recall types. Once a patient has recall procedures completed, the patient's next recall due date is calculated and the list can be filtered by due date. Select patients in the list to send an email or postcard reminder. Use the listed preferred recall contact method and recall notes to determine how a patient is to be reminded. When a patient has been sent a reminder, they will disappear from the list for a specified number of days. If the patient does not schedule an appointment, they are put back in the list and for another reminder. The list tracks how many reminders have been sent and can be filtered by reminder number. Also use the list to schedule recall appointments from phone reminders.
Also see our Recall Video Playlist
First, set up the items below before scheduling recall appointments.
Providers: Add providers and hygienists.
Operatories: Create operatories and assign the default providers. When using Web Sched, designate Web Sched operatories.
Schedule Setup: Create each provider's schedule and assign to an operatory. Their schedules should extend as far into the future as appointments are to be scheduled. For example, recall appointments 6 months in the future cannot be scheduled if there is no provider schedule set 6 months out.
Web Sched Recall: (optional) Sign up for the eService to automatically send text and email reminders to patients. Patients can click a link in these reminders to schedule their recall appointment online.
Next, set up the Recall Types. The default recall types are Prophy, Child Prophy, and Perio. Edit the recall interval or recall procedures for the existing types or add new ones.
Lastly, Setup Recall list defaults to determine which recall types appear in the recall list, the reminder intervals, and the reminder messages.
List of patients who are due for a recall but are not yet scheduled. Change the list View criteria then click Refresh List to expand or limit the list results.
- From/To: The due date range. Set the default values in Setup Recall. No start date will include patients that have never had a recall procedure set complete.
- Show Reminders: Only list patients with a specific number of reminders.
- Recall Type: Only show patients with specific recall type. Select from Perio, Prophy, or All.
- Sort: Sort the list by due date, alphabetically, or by billing type.
- Provider: Only view patients for a specific provider.
- Clinic: Filter by Clinics.
- Site: Filter by Site. Only visible when Public Health is enabled.
- Group Families: Group members within a family together (does not affect Web Sched reminders). When checked, and all family members are selected, only one reminder will be sent per family, using the multiple patients in one family message template in Setup Recall.
- Show Conflicting Types: Only show patients whose recall type conflicts with the procedures on a scheduled recall appointment. For example, it will show prophy patients who have a scheduled appointment with perio procedures. Only applies to perio and prophy recalls. To show, the scheduled appointment must have all procedures associated with the conflicting recall type (e.g. a scheduled perio appointment must have all Procedures on Appointment for the perio recall type). See Recall Types.
- Included Reminded: Show patients that have already received reminders, and would otherwise be filtered out according to rules from Setup Recall.
The interactive Recall List grid, shows patients due for a recall and their recall information. Customize which columns show in Display Fields, Recall List.
- Due Date: The date the recall type is due. If blank, the patient has never had a recall procedure set complete.
- Patient: Name of the patient with the recall due.
- Age: Patient's age.
- Type: Recall type due.
- Interval: The length of time between each recall appointment for the recall type.
- #Remind: The number of reminders sent since the patient's last recall appointment.
- LastRemind: The date the last reminder was sent.
- Contact: Patient's Preferred Recall Method (set in the Edit Patient Information window). Override the preferred recall contact method with the Use email if setting in Setup Recall. Contact abbreviations: Mail = mail postcard, Hm = home phone, Wk = work phone, Cell = wireless, Email address = email, SeeNotes = see notes (commlog or recall note), Text = text message.
- Status: Use to track recall communication about a patient's unscheduled recall appointment. To change the status, highlight one or more patients then select a status from the Set Status dropdown and click Set. Status can also be changed by double-clicking the patient from the list or double-clicking the Recall grid in the Family Module. Status options can be customized in Definitions: Recall / Unsched Status.
- Note: Administrative note specific to recall list. Entries are deleted every time Recall resets.
- WebSched: The progress of a reminder sent using the Web Sched button. Progress status: Blank = no web sched recall reminder has been sent, Sending = reminder is being sent, Send Failed = web sched reminder failed to send (double-click to view error details).
Double-click a patient in the list to open the Edit Recall window and edit the patient's recall information. Also, right-click a patient to select the patient and go to the Family module or Account Module. When one family member is highlighted, all other family members in the list will highlight in red text.
Postcard Preview: Preview postcards to send to the selected patients. See Mail Reminders below for more information.
Undo: Undo the last batch of recalls. This is useful when patients were accidentally marked as contacted or the reminders failed to send. The following window will open. Confirm the date to undo recall. Recall notes, statuses, and commlogs will be removed from patient accounts.
Single Labels: Print a single address label for each selected patient to the default printer for Labels - Single. When printed, the recall status will change to Mailed Postcard.
Label Preview: Generate and preview a standard sheet of 30 address labels for selected patients. Click Print to print to the default printer for Labels - Sheet. When printed, the recall status will change to Mailed Postcard.
E-Mail: Email the selected patients. See Email Reminders below for more information.
Print List: Print the entire Reactivation List.
Go to Family: Select a patient and go to the Family Module.
Go to Account: Select a patient and go to the Account Module.
Comm: Create a commlog for each selected patient.
Sched Patient: Schedule the selected patient.
Sched Family: Schedule all related family members.
Web Sched: When using Web Sched Recall, click to send recall reminders. See Send Web Sched Recall Reminders below for more information.
Send Web Sched Recall Reminders
When signed up for Web Sched Recall, email and/or text reminders can be sent with a link for the patient to schedule their appointment online from the Recall List. See Web Sched Recall to set up Web Sched Recall.
Note: An audit trail entry is made when Web Sched Recalls are sent manually.
- Select patients to send a recall reminder. If no patients are manually selected, patients with email or text message as their Preferred Recall Method (set in the Edit Patient Information window) are automatically selected.
- Click Web Sched.
- Click OK on the confirmation message to send the recall reminders to the Authorized Representatives of the selected patients. When multiple family members are sent a web sched recall reminder, the message will be aggregated into one and a commlog will be generated for each patient.
See Web Sched Recall: What Patient Sees.
Manually email recall reminders from the recall list. Regular email and text messaging are not secure methods of sending PHI. See Encryption of Data at Rest and in Transit.
- Select an email address to use for sending email in the Email From dropdown menu. The default is Practice/Clinic set in Email Setup (for a single practice) or Clinic List (for clinics). If there is no clinic email, the practice default is used.
- Select patients to send a recall reminder. If no patients are manually selected, patients with email as their Preferred Recall Method (set in the Edit Patient Information window) are automatically selected.
- Click Email. If you selected no patients, Open Dental will auto-select all patients who have email as their preferred Recall Method
- Click OK on the confirmation message to send the recall reminders to the selected patients. If Group Families is checked, the guarantor email is used.
The patient is temporarily removed from the list, recall status is updated to the default email status set in Setup Recall, a commlog is created, and the email reminder is recorded in each patients account. The Recall grid in the Family module will be updated with the recall status, and notes if added.
Send Automatic Text or Email Recall Reminders
If you would like to send automated text message or email recall reminders without allowing patients to schedule their appointments online, use the following steps.
Note: This method uses a portion of the Web Sched Recall system, but does not require you to be signed up for that service. The only fees you will incur would be for the text messages sent.
- Remove the [URL] variables from all Web Sched messages in Recall Setup and customize them to indicate how patients should contact your office to schedule.
- Configure the Recall Types, Send Email Messages Automatically To and Send Text Messages Automatically To options from Web Sched Recall, but do not sign up for the eService.
- Set Start and End times for Automated eServices Schedule from eServices Misc to determine when recall notifications will be sent.
For patients that prefer recall reminders by phone, contact the patient using the phone number listed.
- To schedule the patient, highlight them from the list and select Sched Patient or Sched Family (to schedule all family members due). Recall appointments will be created, with recall procedures attached, and placed on the pinboard to be moved to an operatory on the schedule. The calendar will not jump to the recall due date, so remember the appointment due date to locate it on the schedule.
- If no appointment is scheduled, highlight the patient from the list and select a recall status from the Set Status dropdown that corresponds with the result of the phone call, then click Set.
- The Communication Item window will open with the status and default to commlog type Recall and mode Phone. Edit the commlog to add any details about the phone call that need documented.
- If needed, double-click the patient to open the Edit Recall window to add the recall appointment to the ASAP List, add a recall note, disable the recall type for the patient, or change the recall interval.
If the patient scheduled, they are removed from the recall list until due for their next appointment. If the patient did not schedule, they are temporarily removed from the list after the commlog is completed. To keep the patient in the list, change the commlog type to something other than Recall. The Recall grid in the Family module will be updated with the recall status, scheduled appointment date, and notes if added.
For patients that prefer mailed recall reminders, print postcards to mail or create a recall report and do a letter merge to mail recall letters.
To create print postcard reminders:
- Check Group Families (prints one postcard with the entire families recall information).
- Select patients to create a postcard for. If no patients are manually selected, every patient who does not have a Preferred Recall Method set, or whose Preferred Recall Method is Mail (set in the Edit Patient Information window) are automatically selected.
- Click Postcard Preview. A preview of the postcards for all selected patients is generated.
- Click Print to send the postcards to the Default Printer for postcards.
- If the postcards printed successfully, click OK on the next prompt to finish, otherwise click cancel to start over.
The patient is temporarily removed from the list, recall status is updated to the default mail status set in Setup Recall, and a commlog with type Recall and mode Mail is add to each patients account. The Recall grid in the Family module will be updated with the recall status.
We have found FormSource to have good service and reliability. See their Open Dental Health Care Form Price List.
To create a recall report for a letter merge:
- Click Run Report.
- Highlight the fields to include in the report, click OK.
- The User Query window will open with the report results.
- Click Export and choose a destination to save the file.
- Once saved, complete the Letter Merge.
When trying to send Web Sched Recall emails, I receive a message that emails can't be sent because there are no available time slots.
Verify that all setup options for Web Sched Recall are complete and accurate. Does the provider's schedule extend far enough into the future? Are operatories correctly marked Is Web Sched?
Why might a patient not show in the recall list?
- Patient already has a recall appointment scheduled.
- Patient has already received a reminder. All commlog entries with a type of 'Recall' are considered reminders.
- It has not been long enough since their last reminder.
- The date range does not go back far enough. Leave the start date blank to include patients who have never had a prophy or perio exam.
- The patient may be listed but not sorted as you expect. For example, when grouped by family patients are sorted by the last name of guarantor, with associated family members underneath.
- Check that the correct recall types are set to show up in the recall list. See Recall List Setup.
- Patient status must be 'Patient'.
- The patient's recall has been disabled.
- (rare issue) Patient has an appointment that was never marked complete so it is considered scheduled. Check their progress notes to locate it.