The Appointments module is the heart of the dental practice. From here you can see the appointments for the day or week at a glance, and easily manage and schedule appointments.
Also see Appointments Table of Contents and Webinars.
The Appointment Schedule
The Appointment schedule shows the schedule for the current day or week. Change the day/week using the calendar.
Day or Week view: Set using the radio buttons under the calendar. Set a default in Appointment Module Preferences.
- Day: Grid will be divided into Operatories.
- Week: Grid will be divided into seven days (Monday through Sunday). The appointments will appear narrow, so hovering over the appointment to view bubble popups may be useful (See Appointment Module Preferences). Move appointments within the current week by dragging and dropping, or use the PinBoard.
View: The Appointment View determines the operatories and providers that show in the schedule and the information that shows in an appointment. It also determines the default start time when Open Dental is first opened. Click the dropdown to change views or press an associated Function keys across the top of your keyboard. The default appointment view when a user logs on will be the same view active when the user last logged out.
If using clinics: Appointment views are associated with specific clinics, thus changing the clinic in the Main Menu will change the appointment view options and the appointment view. The default view when a user logs on is based on several settings. See Clinics.
- Time increment of the schedule is a global setting. See Setting the Time Increment.
- The default start time is determined by the selected Appointment View. It can be a set time or dynamically start at the earliest appointment or provider time.
- Current time is indicated by a horizontal time line that automatically moves down the schedule every minute. Customize the line color in Appointment Module Preferences.
- Use the vertical scrollbar to move through the entire 24 hour day.
Operatories: Define operatory names, colors, and order in Operatory Setup.
Colors: By default, white areas indicate “open” times, gray indicates "closed" times, as setup in Schedules. To change colors (open/close times, provider colors, notifications, etc.) see Customize the Appointment Schedule.
Appointments: Basic appointment details show in an appointment box. Double click the box to open the Edit Appointment window or right click to select more options. Every appointment has a second optional provider for hygiene so that only one appointment has to be made even if a patient is technically seeing two providers.
- Depending on your Preferences, appointment details may pop up when you hover over the appointment. To customize the appointment bubble, see Display Fields.
- As appointments are Set Complete, they are grayed out by default.
- Broken appointments are marked with an X.
- To move an appointment, simply click and drag it to a different time, day (in Weekly view), or to the PinBoard.
Right-click options: Right-click an appointment box to view more options.
Other Appointments: View all appointments for the selected patient and family members. See Appointment History.
Print Label: Print an appointment reminder label. Customize it in Sheets: Labels.
Print Card: Print an appointment reminder postcard for a single patient or family. Not to be confused with Confirmation Postcard.
Routing Slip: Print a Routing Slip.
Go To Ortho Chart: Opens the Ortho Chart for the selected patient. Change the text that displays here in Ortho Chart Setup, Tab Name. Enable the right-click option in Appointment Module Preferences.
Call Home Phone: Click to call the home phone for the selected patient. Requires an additional service. See DentalTek Bridge.
Call Wireless Phone: Click to call the wireless phone for the selected patient. Requires an additional service. See DentalTek Bridge.
Send Text: Send a Text Message. Opens a blank text message window.
Send Confirmation Text: Send a text message using the default confirmation message. Set default in Recall and Confirmation List Defaults.
Three clickable icons show above the calendar.
Appointment Lists: View the Recall List, Confirmation List, Planned Tracker, Unscheduled List, ASAP List, CPOE Radiology Order List (for EHR only), and Insurance Verification List.
Print Appointments: Print a list of appointments that you can post in areas where you do not have monitors. The current setting for Day or Week view will determine if a daily or weekly list is printed.
- Start/Stop Time: Enter specific times to include in the list.
- Operatories per page: Directly affect how many pages will print. More operatories per page will result in less printed pages.
- Font Size: Affects how many pages will print.
Click Save to save your settings for the next time you print. Click Preview to view a sample of the page prior to printing. Click OK to print.
Time increments and rows per increment set in Appointment Views can affect printing. If too many pages are still printing, increase the time increment or set the rows per increment to one.
Rapid Call: Launch the Rapid Call application if the Rapid Call Bridge is enabled. Opens the DentalTek Rapid Call website if the bridge is not enabled.
The day or week currently selected lists above the calendar. Today's date is surrounded by a square. Click on a date to quickly jump to the day/week in the schedule.
- Change the day: Click on the new date, or click the blue arrows to jump back/forward one day.
- Change the week: Click the blue W arrows to jump back/forward one week.
- Change the month: Click the arrows to the left/right of the month to jump back/forward one month at a time, or click the blue M arrows below the calendar.
- Change the year: Single click on the month header (e.g. September 2013), then single click on the year to show a 12 year grid.
- Today: Jump to today's date.
PinBoard and Searching for Openings
The PinBoard can be used for easy scheduling between days or weeks. Simply drag or send appointments to the PinBoard, then drag onto the schedule. You can also search for openings.
Lab Cases: Indicates the status of lab cases for the selected date. If using clinics, only the status of lab cases attached to appointments scheduled in the selected clinic's operatories, for the selected date will show. If Headquarters is the selected clinic, the status of all lab cases attached to appointments scheduled in all operatories for the selected date shows (including those not associated with a clinic). See Dental Lab Cases.
Daily Prod: View the Daily Production Sum of all procedures for the providers whose bars are showing in this Appointment View. 'Production' must also be added to the appointment view. If the gross and net amounts are the same, only one number shows. If you see two numbers, the first number is the gross (sum) of the procedure fees.
The second number is the net after subtracting all writeoffs and writeoff estimates. Writeoffs will be used when viewing dates in the past; estimates will be used when viewing current or future dates. To also calculate adjustments in the net production total, see Appointment Module Preferences, 'Add daily adjustments to net production'.
Action Buttons: Show to the left of the Confirmation Status list. Quickly send an appointment to the Unscheduled List, Break it, set it Complete, or Delete it.
Confirmation Status: Quickly change an appointment's confirmation status. Some statuses trigger Time Arrived, Time Seated, and Time Dismissed values, which affect the Waiting Room. Status options can be customized in Definitions, Appt Confirmed.
Make Appt: Schedule an appointment.
- If this is an appointment for a new patient, or the patient has only completed appointments, the Edit Appointment window shows.
- If the patient has scheduled, broken, unscheduled, or planned appointments, the Appointments for [patient name] window shows.
Make Recall: Schedule the patient's next Recall appointment. Patient must be due for a 'special' Recall Type, meaning a 'special' trigger procedure has been completed. Otherwise, a message will indicate no recall is due.
- If the patient has an unscheduled or scheduled appointment (recall or not), the Appointments for [patient name] window opens so you can check appointment history before scheduling. Otherwise the appointment is copied to the PinBoard.
- When copied to the PinBoard, if the treating Provider is Scheduled in an operatory, and if in Day view, the calendar will jump to the recall due date or the next date that has an availability for the appointment length. It does not automatically search for availability if in Week view.
- Custom recalls that are not a 'special' recall type cannot be scheduled using Make Recall, UNLESS the patient is also due for a 'special' recall type. If so, then Make Recall will schedule one recall appointment for all recalls due. If the patient is only due for a custom recall type, click Make Appt to schedule.
Fam Recall: Schedule recall appointments for all family members. Similar behavior as Make Recall.
View Pat Appts: View the patient's appointment history and family recall information on the Appointments for [patient name] window.
Waiting Room Tab
See Waiting Room.
View scheduled hours for employees and providers for the selected day. Only employees and providers scheduled in the selected clinic are listed. Double click anywhere in the grid to edit the schedule. See Edit Day Window.
The Reminders tab shows all Task Reminders for the logged on user that are due for the current day, ordered by date and time.
Reminders will only show here through the end of the current day. An asterisk appears in the reminders tab when there are reminders for the current day.