The Appointments Module is the heart of the dental practice. From here you can see the appointments for the day or week at a glance, and easily manage and schedule appointments.
The Appointment Schedule
The Appointment schedule shows the schedule for the current day or week. Change the day/week using the calendar.
- Day or Week view: Set using the radio buttons under the calendar.
- Day: Grid will be divided into Operatories.
- Week: Grid will be divided into seven days (Monday through Sunday). The appointments will appear narrow, so hovering over the appointment to view bubble popups may be useful (See Appt Module Setup). Move appointments within the current week by dragging and dropping, or use the PinBoard.
- View: Select the Appointment View for this workstation (what shows in an appointment box, which operatories and providers show, and time increments.) You may set up many different views, e.g. one view for your hygiene rooms, one view for each doctor, etc. Views can also be selected by pressing associated Function keys that are usually across the top of your keyboard.
- Operatories: Define operatory names and order in Operatory Setup.
- Colors: To change colors (open/close times, provider colors, notifications, etc. ) see Customize the Appointment Schedule. By default, white areas indicate “open” times, gray indicates "closed" times, as setup in Schedules.
- Time: The horizontal red line indicates the current time. It automatically moves down every minute. Use the vertical scrollbar to move up and down throughout the entire 24 hour day.
- Appointments: Basic appointment details show in an appointment box. Double click the box to open the Edit Appointment window, or right click to select more options. Every appointment has a second optional provider for hygiene so that only one appointment has to be made even if a patient is technically seeing two providers.
Depending on your Preferences, appointment details may popup when you hover over the appointment. To customize the appointment bubble, see Display Fields.
As appointments are Set Complete, they are by default grayed out.
Broken appointments are marked with an X.
To move an appointment, simply click and drag it to a different time, day (in Weekly view), or to the PinBoard.
Two clickable icons show above the calendar.
- Appointment Lists : View the Recall, Confirmation, Planned Tracker, Unscheduled, and ASAP lists.
- Print Appointments : Print a list of appointments that you can post in areas where you do not have monitors. The current setting for Day or Week view will determine if a daily or weekly list is printed.
Start/Stop Time: Enter specific times to include in the list.
Operatories per page: Directly affect how many pages will print. More operatories per page will result in less printed pages.
Font Size: Affects how many pages will print.
Click Save to save your settings for the next time you print. Click OK to print.
Time increments and rows per increment (Appointment Views) can also affect printing. If too many pages are still printing, increase the time increments or set the rows per increment to one.
The day or week currently selected lists above the calendar. Today's date is surrounded by a square. Click on a date to quickly jump to the day/week in the schedule.
- Change the day: Click on the new date, or click the blue arrows to jump back/forward one day.
- Change the week: Click the blue W arrows to jump back/forward one week.
- Change the month: Click the arrows to the left/right of the month to jump back/forward one month at a time, or click the blue M arrows below the calendar.
- Change the year: Single click on the month header (e.g. September 2013), then single click on the year to show a 12 year grid.
- Today: Jump to today's date.
PinBoard and Searching for Openings
The PinBoard can be used for easy scheduling between days or weeks. Simply drag or send appointments to the PinBoard, then drag onto the schedule. You can also search for openings.
- Lab Cases: View Lab Cases.
- Daily Production: View the daily production sum of all procedures for the providers whose bars are showing in this Appointment View. 'Production' must also be added to the appointment view. You may see two numbers in this box. The first number is the gross (sum) of the procedure fees. The second number is the net after subtracting all write-offs and write-off estimates. If the gross and net amounts are the same, only one number shows. Write-offs will be used when viewing dates in the past; estimates will be used when viewing current or future dates.
- Action Buttons: Quickly Delete, Break, or Complete an Appointment, or send it to the Unscheduled List.
- Confirmation Status: Quickly change an appointment's confirmation status. Some statuses trigger Time Arrived, Time Seated, and Time Dismissed values, which affect the Waiting Room. See Edit Appointment. Status options can be customized in Definitions, Appt Confirmed.
- Make Appt: Schedule an appointment.
If this is an appointment for a new patient, or the patient has only completed appointments, the Edit Appointment window shows.
If the patient has scheduled, broken, unscheduled, or planned appointments, the Appointments for [patient name] window shows.
- Make Recall: Schedule the patient's next Recall appointment. Patient must be due for a 'special' Recall Type, meaning a 'special' trigger procedure has been completed. Otherwise, a message will indicate no recall is due.
- If the patient has an unscheduled or scheduled appointment (recall or not), the Appointments for [patient name] window opens so you can check appointment history before scheduling. Otherwise the appointment is copied to the PinBoard.
- When copied to the PinBoard, if the treating Provider is Scheduled in an operatory, the calendar will jump to the recall due date, or the next date that has an availability for the appointment length.
- Custom recalls that are not a 'special' recall type cannot be scheduled using Make Recall, UNLESS the patient is also due for a 'special' recall type. If so, then Make Recall will schedule one recall appointment for all recalls due. If the patient is only due for a custom recall type, click Make Appt to schedule.
- Fam Recall: Schedule Recall appointments for all family members. Similar behavior as Make Recall.
- View Pat Appts: View the patient's appointment history and family recall information on the Appointments for [patient name] window.
Waiting Room and Employees
Waiting Room: If, on the Edit Appointment window, patients
have a Time Arrived, but not a Time Seated, they will list in the Waiting Room. Once they have a Time Seated value, they will be removed from the Waiting Room. Times are usually triggered by confirmation statuses. See Appointments Module Setup or Edit Appointment for details.
Employee Schedules: Under this tab you can see the current day's Schedule for each employee who is working. Double click on a time block to edit a schedule.